Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Coin on the Road


A few days ago while I was waiting to cross the road in hustling and bustling Taiwan, I saw a coin of face value NT$1 (SG$0.05)lying on the road. Without much hesistation, I bent over, pick it up, clean it and put into my pocket.

My fellow travel mate looked at me in disbelief and asked me why I did that, as if it was a embarrassing thing to do and disapprovingly.

Its not the first time I've gotten such a reaction, and I reckon most friends would do the same thing.

Some would look at me weirdly when I try to strike up a conversation with a foreigner or a stranger, or even shunned me when they felt like they are embarrassed when I made some open-minded comments.

It seems like the norm in Singapore is to be low profiled and to fit in with the general behavior and it seriously made me ponder if thats the same elsewhere.

I don't know if you heard before of a story of HK Tycoon Mr Li Kar Sheng.
He is the one who donated $1m to NUS and a good friend of Mr Lee Kuan Yew.

It so happened that one day when Mr Li accidently dropped HK$1 (SG$0.20) into an open drain when he was coming out of his car. Immediately he bent over, picked it up, cleaned it and put it back into his pocket. His chauffeur was bewildered and asked him why he did that when it is of such inconsiderable value compared to who he was.

Mr Li replied, "For all my millions and billions of fortune, they are all built on a base made up by all these small units."

Well, the main point here is not picking up that coin. The main idea is how you dare to venture into the unknown and ignore all the "No" in life.

That is, unless all you want is a simple life.

As a saying goes, a sparrow will never knows the aspirations of an eagle.
An eagle soars high and aim high into the great unknown.
You might say the higher you go, the harder you fall.

But you will never know what you see from a much higher ground.
Thats the reason why, a sparrow never knows the aspirations of an eagle.

So dream my friend, aim high, because you will never know what is missing until you venture into the great unknown.

Mankind's Dream is Never Ending !!! (From "One Piece")

Anyway I know I am naggy.

On a side note, I saw so many things in Taiwan!!!
So many youngsters are working SO HARD, manning food stalls, manning fashion stalls, showing such great smiles and services !!!
It reminds me that there are much more people in the outside work that are working much harder and holds much better attitudes than me.

Wah I have to work much harder and strive much harder if I wannt to make my mark.

But first, let me sip on my bubble tea as I write this.

1 comment:

HuiMing said...

haha i like this entry jj!
-ms loh